Thursday, June 23, 2011

So last night...

... I was sitting having a beer with my friend Jill, who is a very serious practicing Catholic. In fact, after a couple of beers, she had to leave to go to a meeting at her church, to try and save a particular chapel that they were considering shutting down. Only Catholics would go to a church meeting after a couple of beers. I'd probably make a good Catholic girl, if only I weren't agnostic.

Jill was talking about a church that's open 24/7, and a girl at the end of the bar perked up, and knew just what church she was talking about. What ensued, was about an hour long conversation with this girl, whose father is dying of cancer. It may be because it's THAT (fuckyoufemalehormones) time of the month, but I teared up FOUR times. I felt an instant bond with this girl. Before Jill left for her holy meeting, she pulled a card out of the front of her purse and handed it to her (her dad is also of the Catholic faith). To give you an idea of just how engaged Jill is in her religious beliefs, she carries around these cards (they have a special name but I can't remember), and just so happened to have a card for Saint Peregrine, the patron saint of cancer patients. She then gave her a spare rosary she happened to have, hugged her and promised to pray for her and her family. This entire experience was very moving, and really exactly the type of thing that serves as a reminder of the faith I've always had. Faith in something outside of myself, indeed. Faith in the power of human interaction, and being compassionate and kind. Jill has it in spades. Love you, girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment