Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Faith comes in all shapes and sizes, and I found some today!

Edit to add: This entry was actually written yesterday. However, let it be known, that I am a little scared of this blogging thing, and chickened out and didn't post it. Natalie says I'm putting too much thought into it, but I'm just kind of a perfectionist when it comes to writing. I got a 3.9 in college (it's not often I get any acknowledgement for that, but I worked hard, so if it's bragging, then so be it)because I revised my papers to the point of what I considered near perfection. For my abilities anyway.  So, point it, this is from yesterday.


When people ask me about my beliefs, I generally tell them I'm agnostic, but spiritual. Then you often get the question about what your spirituality is centered around. I usually feel like my answer is a bit of a cop-out, but then if I really think about it. Not so much.

Many people find their spirituality around some sort of diety, some sort of philosophy or even just a belief in a higher power, whether they know what that is or not. I've always felt that I simply find mine, through my interactions with others, here on Earth, in the flesh and blood. Today was a perfect example.

I prayed yesterday. Although I didn't really know who, what, when, where, or why, I was holding up to my end of the bargain (read prior post). Today that prayer was answered, though if I weren't on this journey, I may have never recognized it as such. Sometimes just a little hightened awareness, can make you see events of your daily life, in a totally different way.

One of my co-workers, a truck driver, found a blind German Shepherd roaming the property at my work. So blind, that he literally walked into the tire of his tractor. Luckily it was stopped. Thank goodness he cared enough to alert us in the office, so we could follow through with bringing him to safety.  He stayed leashed to our office railing, while we continued to try and perform our job duties, while breaking to make a half dozen phone calls, looking for help and suggestions. Thanks to Natalie's Facebook post, two of our mutual friends came forward. Between A and C, I feel confident that he is okay for now.

The feeling of relief that came over me, when they agreed to help, was at first selfish. All I could think about was trying to get through a very hectic day at work, without having to, with the help of Natalie of course, take care of this dog. Other than being blind, he was unfixed, and had the appearance of a dog who may have at one time been a fighter. Not aggressive with humans, but still, the potential may have been there. I was very nervous, to be quite honest. He may have also had a skin infection under his collar, or quite possibly his collar was becoming embedded with his flesh. We were all too afraid to check, for fear of hurting this poor guy. 

Anyway, once the selfish feeling of relief passed, I felt a feeling of solidarity. That in such a short period of time, people came together to bring this dog to safety, and ensure that he has a chance for a better life. That gave me warm fuzzies. Instead of focusing on the ANGER, that this dog was in the condition he was in, I was enthralled by the compassion of just a few people.

That gives me faith.

1 comment:

  1. Faith in humanity is one of the hardest things to hold onto but one of the most promising and rewarding things you can invest yourself in, I think. Jimi used to call me naive - but I really just want to believe the best of everyone. You're right - the love and compassion we witnessed is something that will help keep faith alive.

    ReplyDelete